ST. JOSEPH’S PRIMARY SCHOOL, ABERDEEN, SCOTLAND
St. Joseph’s RC Primary is situated in the West-End of Aberdeen and is the largest of three Catholic schools in the city. The catchment area is large and includes pupils from a variety of social backgrounds.
The school was founded in 1896 in the form of a free school, St. Joseph’s, and a Convent Day School, Our Lady’s and, in 1897, the school was recognised by the government. In 1899 St. Andrew’s Boarding School was opened. In 1904, Our Lady’s Day School and St. Andrew’s amalgamated to form Queen’s Cross Convent School.
From 1907 to 1932, a Teacher Training Centre operated until this responsibility passed to Craiglockhart Training College in Edinburgh.
In 1970, St. Joseph’s and Queen’s Cross Primary amalgamated and, in 1971, the Secondary Day and Boarding School closed.
In 1973, St. Joseph’s came completely under the management of the then Grampian Education Board.
St. Joseph’s is now a Local Authority School, funded by the Scottish Government. We also host the Peripatetic Secondary RCRE Service which provides Catholic RE in our non-denominational Secondary Schools. There are no Catholic Secondary Schools in Aberdeen.
WHAT MAKES OUR SCHOOL UNIQUE
St. Joseph’s RC Primary is one of the most multi-cultural schools in Aberdeen. We have pupils from all over the world, speaking many different languages and bringing interesting cultures and traditions to our school. We also have a multi-cultural staff who are able to help new pupils with English as an additional language.
Our school is recognised in the Authority as being fully inclusive, while maintaining a very high standard of success and achievement for all our young people.We have extremely supportive and active parents and our boys and girls are very polite, considerate and well-behaved, as was borne out in a recent HMIE Inspection.
OPERATIONAL / ADMINISTRATIVE
TYPE OF SCHOOL
Local Authority School
360 in the Primary School
40 in the Nursery
10 Pupil Support Assistants
Large classrooms, hall with staging, dining-room, music room, ‘soft’ room, Play Therapy room, library, After-school club, parents’ room, three large play grounds and a garden complete with greenhouse.